We know these are difficult times for artists and communities in Greater Manchester and that lives and livelihoods are being impacted daily. We want to support artists and creative practitioners to continue to experiment, dream and to support and influence society.
We are repurposing some of our artist development funds to support this and offering the following opportunities to GM-based artists and creatives. Alongside this we’re continuing to reach out nationally and internationally to support artists and projects impacted by these times. We are very open to proposals that would be delivered through online international collaborations in response to this call out, and we will be developing our ideas further in the coming weeks.
We encourage proposals under the following headings:
– Festival In My House – an opportunity to re-imagine MIF’s Festival in My House programme for today’s unique times. We want people to host their own micro-international festival at home, exploring remote collaborations and audiences – up to £1000 budget for each event
– Get creative – opportunities to create and deliver activity that safely engages artists / community / wider society during the crisis. This could take the form of an online workshop, performance, talk, discussion or other creative idea of your choice – up to £350 per activity.
– Remote residencies – an opportunity to develop your practice and to develop new ideas and projects. This could include responding to the COVID-19 situation or other imaginative ways to support communities, artists or audiences during the coming months, alternatively, this could be an opportunity to research and develop an idea you’ve always wanted to do. Residencies do not have to result in specific outcomes but need to take place at home – up to £1000 per residency.
- We’re open to ideas that are not digital in form provided they are compliant with current government guidelines – these might include the use of phones, radio or other ideas.
- Budgets includes all fees, materials and other expenses
- Whilst our teams will do our utmost to offer support and help remotely, we’re unable to offer our usual level of producing or technical support at the moment; please bear this in mind when submitting your proposal.
- You are eligible to apply for this opportunity if you are over 18 years of age and resident in Greater Manchester.
- We encourage proposals from people with specific access needs and are happy to work with you to help with both the application process and to realise your idea.
How to apply:
We are accepting proposals from GM-based artists and creatives. Please send a maximum 500-word overview of your idea to firstname.lastname@example.org; we will also accept video proposals (up to 2 minutes in length) or if you would like to apply in another way, get in touch. If you are applying via video, please send us the URL via email.
You should include:
- what you would like to do and which of the three strands it sits within
- how you might do it
- who it would benefit or engage
- any support that you might need in delivery
- how your budget is worked out
- your postcode
- links to your previous work or any reference points for the ideas you’re suggesting.
We aim to review all proposals quickly – we’ll be looking for:
- interesting ideas with the ability to stimulate creativity and connection
- ideas that consider the local and international
- ideas that are deliverable on the levels of financial and practical support available
- proposals that help artists to develop artistically, a space to dream, imagine, create and test new ideas
- ideas that allow for audience participation and involvement, beyond simply broadcasting
- proposals that represent the diversity of Greater Manchester.
We will be reviewing applications based on the ideas and the opportunities these will make for the applicants.
We’ll be accepting proposals on a rolling basis until the end of April, or until all available opportunities have been filled. We will be continuing to respond to the needs of our community during this time and will be looking at providing ongoing opportunities past April.
Questions or support:
If you have any questions or need any support in preparing your application please email: email@example.com and a member of the team will respond. We can also arrange to call you if that is more convenient.
Resources For Artists and Freelancers – An evolving open document of resources for the freelance creative community who are looking for support and guidance.
MIF Drop in for Artists and Freelance Creatives – A forum for chat and support, every Tuesday and Thursday from 2pm.
MIF Drop in for Artists and Freelance Creatives – A place to share information, useful links and discussion.