The government has also launched a new Covid Alert Level system administered by the newly created Joint Biosecurity Centre. There are five levels:
- Level five (red) – a “material risk of healthcare services being overwhelmed” – extremely strict social distancing
- Level four (orange) – a high or rising level of transmission – enforced social distancing
- Level three (yellow) – the virus is in general circulation – social distancing relaxed
- Level two (green) – the number of cases and transmission are low – minimal social distancing
- Level one (green) – Covid-19 is no longer present in the UK – no social distancing
These alert levels currently only apply in England.
At the moment the government has not provided much more than some slides on this new alert system so please click HERE for a summary from the BBC.
As of today (June 1) the alert level remains at Level 4 although the government has confirmed that schools are re-opening to more pupils, shops and businesses are reopening, restrictions on the most vulnerable shielded people are being relaxed and sport is starting up again.