With news that Tony Lloyd* has confirmed his intention to stand for the position of Greater Manchester Mayor the Manchester Evening News has suggested a few other possible candidates.
The MEN offers a shortlist of actual and potential candidates:
- Tony Lloyd (Labour Party)
- Richard Leese (Labour Party)
- Ivan Lewis (Labour Party)
- Hazel Blears (Labour Party)
- Jonathan Reynolds (Labour Party)
- Julie Reid (Labour Party)
According to the options suggested the MEN appears to think that only Labour Party politicians will stand for election as Greater Manchester Mayor.
Included on the list is local Councillor Julie Reid (Gorton South Ward) whose ward covers much of Levenshulme.
Billed as the only “Corbynista” to have been touted as a potential candidate the MEN says: “Councillor Reid has reportedly been vocal among colleagues in expressing n interest [in standing for Greater Manchester Mayor]“.
* Tony Lloyd is currently Greater Mnchester Mayor after being appointed to the role without any election last year when the leaders of Greater Manchester councils signed up to the devolution deal offered by George Osborne, Chancellor of the Exchequer.
Councillor Julie Reid (Gorton South Ward). Photo courtesy of the MEN.