After years of campaigns, consultations, marches, plans, occupations, letters, meetings, talking and even quite a bit of dancing the people of Levenshulme can now celebrate as our new Arcadia Library and Leisure Centre throws open its doors.
Here are a few photographs of the new Arcadia. These are the third set in the series of photographs recording the old Levensulme Baths, the original Levenshulme Library and now the new Arcadia Library and Leisure Centre.
Arcadia is a brand new £9.3m facility. It is managed and operated by Greenwich Leisure Limited under the Better brand through a contract with Manchester City Council. GLL are experts in managing leisure facilities. The facilities were built by Laing O’Rourke both on time and on budget. The quality and attention to detail is very impressive. Arcadia includes:
- Community Library of 300 square metres including dedicated children’s library
- Over 20 free computers
- Free wifi throughout the centre
- Two swimming pools
- Flexible changing rooms that can provide dedicated access to one pool for use by specific groups or for private hire
- Multipurpose Community Studio for exercise classes or community activities or meetings
- 60 station gym with additional free weights
- Sauna – up to 12 people
- Steam room – up to 12 people
- Disabled access throughout with a large lift and easy access for the pools
- A buggy store
Arcadia stands as a wonderful facility and proof of what can be achieved when there is a genuine cooperative, positive collaboration between residents, our community, councillors, council officers, designers and developers.
This is our facility.
(All photographs copyright Jeremy Hoad)